Helping homeowners pay residential care costs until their property is sold
This is for home owners who have less than £23,250 (not including the value of their home) who are moving permanently into residential care but do not want to sell their home or can't afford to pay the full cost of their care until their property has been sold.
Joining the scheme
To apply for this scheme you must:
- Have been assessed by Adult Social Care and told by them that you need residential care
- Be eligible for funding
- Be the legal owner of the property
- Allow us to put a first charge on your property
- Provide details of the insurance of your property
- Pay a weekly contribution based on an assessment of your income and assets
For the first twelve weeks of your stay in residential care your property may be disregarded. After this period the Deferred Payment arrangement starts.
The money we give you to cover your care must be repaid when:
- The date your property is sold or
- The date you end the agreement or
- within 90 days of your death
How to apply
If you want to apply for Deferred Payment, you should discuss it with your Care Manager who will be able to give you further details regarding the scheme.
We strongly recommend you obtain independent financial advice before entering into this scheme.
If you decide to go ahead your Care Manager will contact our Financial Assessment and Benefits team to arrange a financial assessment and the deferred payments scheme application form.