Improving the seafront
Enhancing Bournemouth’s natural features
Bournemouth’s Seafront Strategy is an ambitious long term plan to develop a world-class seafront that will enhance the natural assets of the coastline and create public spaces and facilities to inspire new generations of visitors.
We put together the Seafront Strategy with the local tourism industry, landowners and other seafront groups and organisations.
It highlights four areas along the seafront and aims to improve their natural strengths and identities.
The distinctive character of the Chines is enhanced year on year by a program of ongoing improvements. We've made a commitment to continually improve the following features:
- Connecting the Chines with the promenade using green gateways.
- Creating a new tree tops walkway through the tree canopy and across the chine valleys.
- Improving public toilets, lighting, beach offices, beach huts, seating and promenade surfacing.
- Installing natural play areas.
During summer 2015, the facilities at Durley Chine were significantly redeveloped to include a striking glass-fronted cafe offering superb views, a new beach office and new public toilets.
For 2017 we are looking into options to re-landscape an area at the base of Alum Chine and to improve and extend the popular play facilities.
Exciting plans at Pier Approach have come to fruition and the area now provides a vibrant and contemporary welcome to visitors and residents alike. A new interactive water play area, improved landscaping, cafes, and the addition of a tourist information area have transformed the area into a welcoming family friendly space.
We want to continue to improve this area by:
- Creating the ultimate beachfront and promenade experience with widened walkways, palm tree planting and welcoming lighting to encourage visitors to stay longer.
- Promoting dining, arts and culture and events at the seafront with the Pier Approach public space and commercial hub at its centre.
Coastal Activity Park
A brand new coastal hub facility, combining surf school, commercial destination and environmental attraction has been developed at the foot of the cliffs at Toft Steps. This area is a vibrant, fun place to visit all year round.
Coastal Nature Park
This area celebrates Bournemouth’s three major landscape themes – cliff top heath, cliff face geology and beach. It stretches between Boscombe and Southbourne. We want to:
- Connect the three landscapes through a network of wildlife trails.
- Create two developments around Manor Steps and Southbourne.
- Display information about local habitats.
Beyond current projects, the rest of the strategy is about an aspiration to deliver improvements over the next 15 years. Future projects will be subject to planning and separate consultation, depending on scale.