Cycle Training For Children
Free cycle training to help children cycle safely on the road
We use the national cycle training scheme Bikeability, which is managed by our Road Safety team. Bikeability is the modern day cycling proficiency.
Who can join?
- Children aged between 10 and 15 years old (from 16 years ol;d please see our cycle training for adults).
- Children that can ride a bike one handed in order to indicate and look over their shoulder.
- Children who have their own bike and helmet and have permission from a parent/carer to take part.
- Children who live or go to school in Bournemouth.
What they learn
Helps riders to control their bicycle and starts to make them aware of safety issues and bike maintenance.
Takes the children out onto the road to teach them how to cycle as safely as possible, in real life situations.
How long does the level 1 & 2 course take?
- During term time, Level 1 and 2 courses are held over two consecutive Saturdays.
- During school holidays, Level 1 and 2 courses are held on two consecutive days.
- The 2 day course takes a total of 8 hours from 09:00 – 13:00 on day one and 09:00 - 13:00 on day two.
To complete the course, children must attend both dates.
For children aged 11 or over who want to improve their skills on more challenging roads and junctions we offer a Level 3 Bikeability Course. Training is delivered one-to-one or in groups of up to 3 and can be tailored to a child's needs, for example a route from home to school.
How long does the Level 3 course take?
The course normally takes 2hrs 30 minutes, but extra sessions could be needed depending on the child's abilities.
Our instructors are all fully qualified to the national standard and are DBS checked
The sessions take place at Kings Park Cycle Centre.
Level 1 and 2 Saturday Course
- Sat 25 Mar (day one) & Sat 1 Apr (day two) - 09:00 - 13:00
- Sat 29 Apr (day one) & Sat 6 May (day two) - 09:00 - 13:00
- Sat 13 May (day one) & Sat 20 May (day two) - 09:00 - 13:00
- Sat 27 May (day one) & Sat 3 Jun (day two) - 09:00 - 13;00
Level 1 and 2 Easter Holiday Course
- Mon 10 Apr (day one) & Tue 11 Apr (day two) - 09:00 - 13:00
- Wed 12 Apr (day one) & Thu 13 Apr (day two) - 09:00 - 13:00
- Tue 18 Apr (day one) & Wed 19 Apr (day two) - 09:00 - 13:00
Level 3 Easter Holiday Courses
- Thu 20 Apr - 09:30 - 12:00 or 13:00 - 15:30
- Fri 21 Apr - 09:30 - 12:00 or 13:00 - 15:30
To book a course
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following details:-
- Parent/guardian's full name
- Child’s full name
- Age of child
- Year group
- Mobile (for emergencies)
- Requested course and preferred course date and time
Courses are booked on a first come, first served basis. Places are limited to 12 pupils per session, so please contact us as soon as possible with your preferred course date as the courses do get booked up very fast.
Sometimes emails may get caught in the Junk/Spam folder. We recommend you check these folders if you are expecting an email from us.
We offer Bikeability courses to all schools, so you could also check with your child's school to see if they will be offering it.