How to Manage your Business Waste Better
On average, waste disposal costs up to 4% of a business’ turnover, reducing and recycling your waste is better for your business
Many business owners think that ‘going green’ will end up costing them money. The truth is that by managing your business waste better and recycling more, you could save money and reduce your impact on the environment at the same time
The Waste Hierarchy
The Waste Hierarchy is a useful guide for managing your businesses waste more sustainably. The most efficient option starts at 1. The least efficient option is 5.
- Eliminate: Avoid producing waste in the first place.
- Reduce: Minimise the amount of waste you do produce.
- Re-use: Use items as many times as possible.
- Recycle: Recycle what you can only after you have re-used it.
- Dispose: Dispose of what’s left in your bin.
Business benefits of reducing waste
To save money, most businesses think about cutting the cost of disposing of waste. But reducing waste could save your business money in other ways:
- The original cost of materials.
- Cost of handling, delivery and processing of materials.
- Staff time buying, handling and processing materials.
Reducing your waste will make your business more profitable.
Business benefits of recycling
There are four good reasons why your business should recycle and it's not just about the environment:
- Make sure you comply with the law (see commercial waste legislation)
- Gain a competitive advantage: Improve your reputation and meet customer's demands for a better environment
- Protect the sustainability of your business long term
- Reduce your waste disposal costs – Bournemouth Council charges less to empty commercial recycling bins than general waste bins
Donate materials to charity
A great way to recycle your business materials is to donate them to a waste management organisation:
Dorset Scrapstore collects materials donated by businesses and uses them as for the benefit of children and communities
National Industrial Symbiosis Programme (NISP) facilitates free resource exchange between businesses
WARPit is a redistribution network that makes it easy for your employees to give away or loan unwanted items to others inside the same organisation or beyond.