Bournemouth Council

Bournemouth Coroner's Service

A coroner is an independent judicial officer, they are assisted by coroner’s officers and secretarial staff

The coroner investigates and records the causes and circumstances of all deaths where the cause is unknown, or that was violent or unnatural, or occurred whilst the deceased was in lawful custody.

This information is only about our local coroner, you can find out more about the role of a coroner.

If you are concerned about a death you are entitled to raise these concerns with the coroner. You can contact the coroner's officers at:

Coroner's Office for the County of Dorset
Town Hall

Tel: 01202 454910
Fax 01202 454977


The Coroner's team

The senior coroner for Dorset is Mrs Rachael Griffin, the assistant coroners are Mr Brendan Allen, Mr Richard Middleton and Mr Stephen Nicholls. You can contact them at the coroner's court office.

The senior coroner for Dorset covers deaths that occur in the administrative county of Dorset or where the body of a deceased person is found in Dorset even if they died elsewhere.

The assistant coroners act when the senior coroner is not available, they have the full powers of the senior coroner.

Finding out about inquest hearings

You can find all publicly available information here, please don't contact the coroners court office, staff or police press office as they cannot give you any further information.

Current cases

You can find out about current and scheduled Inquests, listed by date. No other information will be released before the Hearing of the Inquest.

You can also find out about today's inquest hearings.

You can also find out about weekly hearings.

Past Cases and Genealogy Research

If you are researching past cases you have to apply to the coroner in writing first before you can be given the information you're requesting.

If you would like more detailed information and/or copies of documents you will need to explain your relationship to the deceased and why you want the information.

Feedback and complaints

Complaints about a coroner's decision or the outcome of an Inquest can only be dealt with through proceedings in the High Court. The coroner's office can explain the procedure, but can't give legal advice.

All complaints about the administration of the Dorset Coroner Service, or the conduct of individual coroners or their officers should first be raised by writing to the senior coroner.

The coroner cannot normally discuss cases which he is or has been involved with, but comments and suggestions on improving the coroner service are always welcome.


Contact Us



01202 454910


01202 454977


Coroner's Service

Town Hall


  • Name