Accept Cookies on this site

Bournemouth Borough Council would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.

Home / Mayor, Council & Democracy / Providing and Protecting Information / How you can re-use information we produce

How you can re-use information we produce


The Re-use of Public Sector Regulations (PSI)

What are these Regulations?

The Re-Use of Public Sector Regulations requires the Council to make useful business information available for re-use. Sometimes the Council can charge for such re-use.

How do these regulations fit with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Environmental Information Regulations (EIR)?

The main difference between FOIA and PSI Regulations is as follows:

  • The FOIA and EIR give you the right of access to recorded information held by the Council, but they do not give you the right to re-use any information we provide.
  • PSI Regulations permit the re-use of recorded information produced by the Council. Sometimes this may involve licensing and charging for information to be re-used if it is for commercial gain.

The Council makes information available for re-use in the form of electronic documents, leaflets and hard copies of publications. The majority of our information may be re-used free of charge providing our copyright is acknowledged.


The Regulations do not permit recorded information to be disclosed where it is exempt from disclosure under the FOIA/EIR.

Can I re-use information produced by the Council free of charge?

You may reproduce our copyright protected content, free of charge, without specific information, provided that you are not producing it for profit, material or financial gain. You must reproduce the material accurately and not use it in a misleading context. If you are republishing the information or issuing it to others, you must acknowledge its source, copyright status and date of publication if known.


The permission to reproduce Bournemouth Borough Council copyright protected material does not extend to any material that is identified as being the copyright of a third party. You must seek permission to reproduce such material from the copyright holder concerned.

Where can I find out more about PSI Regulations?

Further information regarding the Regulations and also guidance to organisations is available on the National Archives Service website|.

Where do I enquire or make a request to re-use information?

All enquiries should be sent to the Council’s Information Compliance Team. Please select Contact the Team| for contact details

Related Information


Postal Address Customer Services Centre,
St Stephens Road, Bournemouth, Dorset
Telephone 01202 451451
Minicom 01202 454974
Email Enquiries