Accept Cookies on this site

Bournemouth Borough Council would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.


Flooding from Sewers

Flooding from Public Sewers

Wessex Water Plc|, owns and manages the network of public foul and surface water sewers.


To report an overflowing public sewer, you should call Wessex Water Customer Services on 0845 600 4 600.


The majority of public sewers are located in the highway, and the Council has a copy of the Sewer maps, which may be viewed at the Council Offices by prior appointment by telephoning (01202) 451323.


Flooding from Private Sewers or Drains

If your private drains or sewers are overflowing, you will need a drainage contractor to deal with any blockage.  See Yellow Pages| under Drain and Pipe Cleaning.  


If you are uncertain if any blockage is in the public or private sewers, the sewerage company (Wessex Water) should be able to determine this, once on site, then recharge you the cost of any work on the private sewers.




Contact Us

In emergency:

telephone icon image  (01202) 451199 (during normal office hours)

telephone icon image  (01202) 451145 (outside normal office hours)


For general information:

telephone icon image  (01202) 451380

email icon image|


Related Information


Postal Address Customer Services Centre,
St Stephens Road, Bournemouth, Dorset
Telephone 01202 451451
Minicom 01202 454974
Email Enquiries
image of a sunLike|