Join the Housing Register
The Housing Register is our waiting list for people to get council or housing association properties
To join the Housing Register
Apply on the Dorset Home Choice website.
You will not get onto the list straight away, it takes a while for your application to be processed. Once you are on the list you will also have to wait for a property because demand for social housing is very high.
Waits are very long for all general needs accommodation so you are advised to look elsewhere if you need to move more quickly.
To qualify for the Housing Register, you need to be at least one of the following:
- Have lived in Bournemouth for at least three years when you make your application (this doesn’t apply to members of the Armed and Reserve Forces).
- Be employed or have a firm offer of employment in Bournemouth, and a permanent contract for 16 hours or more per week.
- Have close family (parents, grandparents, adult children) that have lived in Bournemouth for at least five years.
We won’t accept your application if you are a homeowner whose home is not suitable for your needs but you can get alternative accommodation without help. Or a household with income six times higher the Local Housing Allowance level.
If you are put on the waiting list, you will be placed in one of three bands, depending on your housing needs. You can find out more about how to qualify here.
You’ll then be able to use the Dorset Home Choice website to view and bid on the properties that are advertised weekly.
You can only bid for properties that cover your housing needs, and you must be registered with the right local authority.
As well as us, the other local authorities on this scheme are:
- Christchurch & East Dorset
- North Dorset
- West Dorset
- Weymouth & Portland
Making an appeal
If we don’t accept you on to the list, you can ask for a review. Our decision is based on the following areas:
- Your eligibility to be on the Housing Register
- The way your application was processed
- The band you were placed in
- Your removal from the Housing Register
If you want a review, you must send a request form to the housing options team within twenty-one days of learning about our decision. They will acknowledge your appeal within seven days.
If you’re unsure about appealing, contact them first for advice.
A senior staff member who hasn’t been involved with your application will complete the review. Your review should be completed within fifty-six days. If we need more information, this may take longer.