Accept Cookies on this site

Bournemouth Borough Council would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.

Home / Housing / Council Housing / Your Tenancy / Moving Homes

Moving Homes


What happens if I want to move?

You can apply to transfer to alternative accommodation through the Housing Register.


When you apply to go on the Housing Register your application will be assessed and placed in one of four priority bands.  You will then be able to bid on empty homes that are advertised through|.  These will include those homes in the Bournemouth area managed by housing associations.


Follow the link for information on how to apply|.


You can also register for a mutual exchange through|.  This is free for our tenants and is a national database, which has information on all Council and housing association tenants in the UK who are interested in mutually exchanging or swapping their homes.


Please remember that you will need our permission and that of any other council or housing association before you move.


We may refuse to give our permission if:

tickbox  The home that you want to move to is too large or small for your needs.


tickbox  It has special features suitable for disabled persons or for older persons.


tickbox  We have taken action against you for rent arrears, anti-social behaviour or another breach of your tenancy.


tickbox  Was let to you as part of your employment.

Sometimes we will give you our permission but you cannot move until you meet a condition that we have set, for example carry out certain repairs.



Homebuy is a low cost home ownership scheme that enables first time buyers to buy a share of a home. Click here for further information.  (Link to low cost home ownership page on BBC website)


Is your Home too big for your needs?

If you would like to move to a smaller property you will be eligible to get removal expenses of up to £1,000.00.


To find out more contact your Housing Officer| on 01202 451915.

Related Information


Postal Address Housing Landlord Services,
Kinson Hub Office, The Kinson Hub, Wimborne Road, Bournemouth, Dorset
BH11 9AW
Telephone 01202 451915
Minicom 01202 454728
Email Housing Landlord Services
image of a sunLike|