Bournemouth Council

Advice for Private Sector Tenants

Useful things to know if you’re a tenant

If you are renting accommodation in Bournemouth and are having trouble managing your home or maintaining your tenancy, we can help you. 

If you’re having maintenance problems that your landlord won’t sort out, the Private Sector Enforcement Team can offer services, advice and in certain cases enforcement action. 

Other things you should know

  • Private rented accommodation should meet the minimum standards of the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).  Our Enforcement Policy is available to view.
  • Properties must meet all the requirements explained in the Housing Act (2004), Environmental Protection Act (1990), Landlord and Tenant Act (1995) and the Planning and Building Control legislation
  • A Gas Safe registered contractor must check all gas appliances annually
  • All gas installations must meet the requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998
  • All electrical installations should meet the requirements of BS7671: 1992 (British Standards for low voltage electrical appliances). Work should be carried out by a registered contractor
  • If you are renting a property that is already furnished, the arrangement must meet the requirements explained in the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 

The Redress Scheme (England) Order 2014

This makes it a legal requirement for all lettings agents and property managers in England to join one of the three following Government approved schemes:

This means that tenants can complain to an independent person about bad service and prevent disputes from getting worse.

If you are in a dispute, report it to our Private Sector Housing team who can help advise you about your rights.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451467


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name