Rent Deposit Scheme
Get financial help if you’re homeless or facing homelessness
The Rent Deposit Scheme is an interest-free loan that helps you cover the cost of a tenancy deposit or rent in advance.
Who is the scheme for?
To qualify for the scheme you must:
- Have family in, or be working in Bournemouth
- Have been assessed by a housing options officer and found statutorily homeless
- Be unable to get funds from anywhere else
- Be able to repay the loan in regular instalments
We need to see:
- Identification, this could be your passport, driving licence, birth certificate, marriage certificate, UK residence permit or European Economic Community (EEC) identity card.
- Building society, bank or post office statements from the last three months.
- Proof of your address or proof of address for your family that lives here.
- Your national insurance number.
Do not give your new landlord any money before your housing options officer has told you that you’re on the scheme. We will not issue a rent deposit or rent in advance loan to refund you if you have already paid.
If we’ve given you financial help before and you’ve not paid us back, we may not be able to help you again.
How it works
We will only fund a deposit or rent loan for a property if:
- The housing options officer says it is affordable
- The landlord is happy to take part in the scheme
The landlord/letting agent will get the deposit directly. We can send this to them either by a direct payment into their bank or as a bond guarantee certificate.
The deposit is equal to one month’s rent. You will repay the loan in regular instalments. If your landlord hasn’t made a claim on the deposit by the end of the tenancy, you will get this back.
We also arrange rent in advance loans, where we pay the landlord one month’s rent in advance of your tenancy beginning. This cannot be used to pay for any damages to the house. You won’t get this back at the end of the tenancy and it's non-transferrable.