Surf reef update: Repair works to go ahead this summer
ASR Ltd has confirmed they will return next month (August) to carry out urgent repairs to the surf reef.
The reef at Boscombe was closed as a precautionary safety measure at the end of March 2011 following a routine inspection which showed the reef profile had significantly changed. Further detailed dive inspections indicated that the reef had been damaged by a boat’s propeller blade. The damaged bag was removed and passed to the Council’s insurers.
Bournemouth Borough Council and ASR Ltd have now agreed to undertake the urgent repair works this summer, with a view to also carrying out improvement works whilst on site.
Councillor Rod Cooper, Cabinet Member for Economy & Tourism, said; “We welcome the news that ASR will be able to return next month to carry out these works. The decision to use the retained funds to undertake these repair works represents the most practical way of ensuring the immediate and urgent protection for the future of the reef. The contribution the reef has made to the reputation of Boscombe as a destination cannot be underestimated. I for one am looking forward to seeing the ASR team back on site.
“It is planned that works will start in early August subject to weather conditions. In the meantime I would urge boat users to make sure they are familiar with the rules of the sea before setting out on the water, and in particular observe the cardinal mark and other buoys marking the reef.”
Nick Behunin, Managing Director of ASR Ltd, said; “We are pleased to have reached an agreement on the repair works for the Boscombe reef and that we will be able to start the improvement works at the same time. This remains our flagship project and, as ever, we are committed to delivering a right-hand wave that Bournemouth and ourselves can be proud of.”
Posted on Monday 18th July 2011