Legislation and Policies
How legislation affects traffic and parking in Bournemouth
We publish an Annual Report that explains our parking and enforcement goals for Bournemouth. The Report also explains what parking projects we have launched and issues we have looked into during the past year.
Traffic Management Act 2004
Our parking regulations follow the Traffic Management Act 2004. If you’ve broken the regulations, we will issue you a Penalty Charge Notice that tells you about the offence.
Penalty charges are:
- £70 (£35 if paid within 14 days) for major offences.
- £50 (£25 if paid within 14 days) for minor offences.
We can issue Penalty Charge Notices using camera enforcement. Cameras are used to photograph vehicles parked illegally.
We will post you a Penalty Charge Notice if:
- You’ve moved the vehicle before the notice could be issued.
- The Civil Enforcement Officer felt you threaten their personal safety.
- Your vehicle was seen parked illegally by the camera car
Civil Enforcement Officers and Police Officers can both issue Penalty Charge Notices at pedestrian crossings and Zigzags.
Civil Enforcement Officers can also inspect blue badges.
If you use a Bus Lane you will be sent a Penalty Charge Notice for £60 (£30 if paid within 14 days)
- The Transport Act 2000 (the ‘Act’). The Bus Lane Contraventions (Penalty Charges, Adjudication and Enforcement)
- (England) Regulations 2005 (the ‘Regulations’). The Bus Lanes (Approved Devices) (England) Order 2005 (the ‘Order’)