Accept Cookies on this site

Bournemouth Borough Council would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.

Home / Streets & Transport / Roads, Highways & Pavements / Road Closures & Road Works

Road Closures & Road Works

Road Works 2

Current Road Works and Road Closures

Construction company Watkins Jones will be putting in a new sewer connection, therefore part of Holdenhurst Road will be closed to northbound traffic in the Lansdowne area from Monday 24 November for two weeks.  Traffic travelling from Lansdowne roundabout towards Station roundabout will be diverted via Christchurch Road, turning left at St Swithun’s roundabout on to St Swithun’s Road South and up to Station roundabout. 

Holdenhurst Road will be open for southbound traffic and access to local businesses will still be maintained. Buses travelling northbound along Holdenhurst Road will be diverted via Christchurch Road, please visit| and| for more information.


Details of current road works and road closures within Bournemouth, as well as in Dorset, are provided on an interactive plan on the Elgin website|


Applying for a Road Closure or to Undertake Road Works

All work on the highway must be approved in advance by completing the appropriate application form.

If you are wanting to apply for a road closure or for any licences associated with working in or on the highway, please refer to the Licences and Application Forms| page for all of the details.


Road Closures for Street Parties

If you would like to hold a street party in your road you can apply to the council by completing the application form| and e-mailing it to the Events department|The Guidance Notes| contain the conditions of holding a street party and must be read before submitting your application.

There is no fee for the temporary traffic order, however, you may incur further charges as described below.

If your street party is approved you will need insurance indemnity and must sign the road closure with standard 'Road Closed' signs.  The council does have a limited number of signs available for approved street parties only, which can be hired at a cost of £10 per sign plus a deposit of £20 per sign which will be refunded when the signs are returned.  Details of the process of hiring the council owned signs will be sent to you once your application has been approved in principle.

The organiser must also provide suitable high visibility barriers to place alongside the 'Road Closed' sign.

You may wish to use our Risk Assessment template| to assist with identifying any hazards or risks at your event, and to help think about how these can be minimised

Further arrangements maybe required based on individual circumstances.  Where this is the case you will be contacted with the details and any advice you may need.

This process is only applicable to small residential street parties, and for larger community events and parades the normal Road Closure application form| must be completed.


Road Closures for Large Community Events and Parades

If you would like to arrange a community event or a parade involving a road closure, you must submit both an events application form| and a Road Closure application form|.  The routes available for parades are restricted in the town centre, and only the approved routes will be considered.  All conditions of the road closure application form must be satisfied so please ensure you read these fully before submitting your form.

The fee for producing the traffic order for community events is waived, however you may still incur traffic management costs depending on your event.

Related Information


Mail Address

Highways Department
Town Hall Annexe
St Stephen’s Road

Telephone 01202 451199
Out of Hours Telephone Number

Out of Hours:
01202 451145

Email Highways
image of a sunLike|