Bournemouth Council

Moving on into Adulthood

Helping you understand your options for Year 11 and beyond

When the government launched the Raising of the Participation Age or RPA, it meant that you now have to stay in education or training until you’re 18. It doesn’t mean you have to stay at the same school and there are lots of options for you to choose from, for example:

  • Full time education, this could be a college or 6th form
  • Home education, for example through distance or online learning
  • An apprenticeship
  • Traineeship or Internship
  • Full time work and at least seven and a half hours a week of study
  • Part time education and at least 20 hours a week at work

The Careers Adviser in your current school is there to help you explore your choices and make a good decision about what you'll do next.


If you’re between 16-18 years old college courses are free! You might also be able to get help to pay for your books and equipment.

To help with travel costs, some colleges may offer subsidised transport using local buses, trains or their own dedicated college buses. Speak to your college for more information.

If you can’t travel on your own because of your health, you may be able to get help with transport to college or 6th form. Speak to your SEN Caseworker for more information.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451451


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name