Road Safety In Bournemouth
Find out about road safety information, advice and support that's available to help everyone travel safely in our town
Making our roads safer
Our Road Safety Report details all the valuable work we do to keep our roads safe. If you'd like further advice or information about road safety work please email our Road Safety Team.
Read the new Dorset Road Safety Newsletter, to find out more about the fantastic partnership working that's happening across the county to improve road safety and encourage people to take advantage of the many schemes available for all road user groups.
Road safety for adults
- Dorset Driver Gold is designed for people aged 65 or over who have an interest in updating their skills and knowledge, want help in familiarising themselves with a new vehicle or simply want to gain confidence.
- Adult cycle training We provide free sessions through LifeCycleUK for anyone over 16 who lives, works or studies in Bournemouth. Sessions cover safety checks, basic bike control skills and route planning. Please email email@example.com or call 01202 451088 if you are interested.
- ScootWise Mobility Scooter and Powered Wheelchair Training SafeWise Bournemouth is providing safety awareness courses for mobility scooter users or those thinking of purchasing a mobility scooter in Dorset.
- Motorcycle training If you'd like to try a free one hour training session at Kings Park check out the Get On Campaign website for more details.
- Winter driving Check out the Think Road Safety website for helpful tips and information about driving in winter conditions.
- Flood Water Please be aware of the dangers of driving through flood water and heed the advice from the AA in dealing with this dangerous weather condition.
- Life Drive is free young driver training, designed to reduce accidents by building on the skills and experience of young drivers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01202 591330.
- Car Seat Check Clinics An alarming number of child car seats are incorrectly fitted and we would like to help ensure that drivers make sure their in-car child seats are fitted correctly.
Road safety for children and young people
- Cycle training for children aged 10 and over. Our free Bikeability course combines Bikeability Levels 1 and 2, with the aim to increase road safety for young cyclists on the road. Please email email@example.com if you'd like more information or to book a course.
- CCTV cameras are being deployed outside Bournemouth Schools to deter illegally stopping vehicles.
- Pre-school road safety We lend out road safety equipment to pre-school groups to teach road safety skills before they start school. The equipment is free and you can borrow it for one week at a time. If you'd like to know more, please email our Road Safety team.
- School Crossing Patrols We recruit and manage the School Crossing Patrol service. We're also responsible for risk management at school crossing patrol sites and any engineering and traffic measures which are needed there. We currently have permanent vacancies at St Michael's Primary and St Lukes School (the Infants Site - Bingham / Bemister Road). To apply for one of our current permanent vacancies or to apply for a position as either a mobile relief patroller or a relief patroller specific to a particular school, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for an application or for further details, please contact us on 01202 454636.
How to find out about road traffic accidents
You can ask us for information about traffic accidents by sending a plan of the area you're interested in and the dates you want to know about. We provide accident detail listing (stats 19) and can also plot the accidents. This will cost from £100 (+ VAT) for requests made for commercial purposes. Contact us to find out more.
National campaigns and useful resources