Disabled Facilities Grant

Funding changes that improve your independent living

We award Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) to help with the cost of adapting homes for care needs. A DFG can be between £1,000 and £30,000. The grant is issued to help you fund the adaptations that you need to make to your home.  Soft furnishings are not included but minimal decoration is included.

You can apply for a grant if you have been assessed by an Occupational Therapist as needing adaptations and:

  • Are a tenant in a privately-rented or housing association home by yourself or with your family
  • Are a homeowner by yourself or with your family
  • Are the parent or guardian of a disabled child
  • Are the landlord of a disabled tenant.

The grants is means tested which means you will be financially assessed and may receive a grant to cover the full cost, up to the value of £30,000, or part of the cost of the required adaptation.

You will be exempt from a financial assessment and get a full grant if you, or your partner, receive

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (not contribution-based ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution-based JSA)
  • Guarantee Pension Credit (not Savings Pension Credit alone)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit provided that the annual income for the purposes of assessing entitlement to the tax credit is less than £15,050
  • Universal Credit (this includes any amount of Universal Credit which is being introduced from 2013 onwards as a replacement for working age benefits and tax credits).

If you are not in receipt of one of these Benefits, you may still qualify for a DFG that covers the full cost of the works or you may have to pay towards the cost of your required adaptation.


To apply

You need to get in touch with Care Direct and have a Occupational Therapist visit you. They will assess your needs. If they recommend adapting your home, the Council’s Grants Officer will need to approve the application and help you apply for the Disabled Facilities Grant.

No work on adaptations should begin until the DFG has been approved, if for any reason the grant is not approved you will be liable for the costs.

If you are a council tenant

Housing Landlord Services will meet the cost and carry out the work.

If you own your home

If you own the home and the works cost over £5,000 we apply a local land charge against the property for 10 years, up to a maximum of £10,000.

If you move within this time, you may have to repay any amount listed on the remaining local land charge against the property.


If your home cannot be adapted

You might not be able to adapt your home. If you qualify for a Disabled Facilities Grant and need to move to a more suitable property, you can receive funding to cover eligible moving costs. One of the following will need to apply:

  • The adaptations are not practicable.
  • Major work is needed and it would be better and more cost effective for you to move.
  • You are a tenant and the landlord refuses to agree to the work.

Eligible moving costs include removals, solicitors and estate agent fees.  We assess your finances to work out if you have to pay towards the cost.

An Occupational Therapist and Grants Technical Officer must confirm the new home can be adapted.