Help for People with Sight and Hearing Needs
We have specialist skills and knowledge and are able to offer practical advice and support.
The Sight & Hearing Team comprises specialist officers who give advice to Adults 18+ who are visually impaired or hard of hearing and to those who are deaf/blind on managing at home, with communication skills and also with employment.
Our services Include:
- Assessment of individual needs for sight/hearing
- Assessment of carer's needs (if required)
- Psychological and emotional support, providing an opportunity to discuss your feelings and concerns.
- Information about specialist equipment
- Advice and information about all aspects of daily living skills
- Help in accessing local social activities.
- Information about registration and benefits
- Mobility training/assistance to get about safely
Aids and Equipment:
The Sight & Hearing Resource Centre
There is a wide variety of equipment to help you maintain your independence. Some typical aids available on display are: large number of talking clocks and watches, talking scales, talking microwave, daylight lamps, large print calendars, big button telephones, electronic reading aids and large print playing cards and games.
The resource centre is based in the:
Bournemouth Blind Society
5 Victoria Park Road, Moordown, BH9 2RB
Telephone: 01202 546644
Opening hours Monday to Friday 10:00 am – 1pm
No appointment is necessary.
Contacting the Sight and Hearing Services Team
Anyone can contact Adult Social Care. There is no need to see your hospital eye specialist or GP first. If you have a problem because of your sight or hearing and require further information you can contact directly.