Coronavirus (COVID-19): change to service
On advice from the government regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19), some services have changed. Find our latest information and advice on using our Beaches in Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole.
See further information about changes to services.
Making the seafront more friendly
We want everyone to enjoy Bournemouth’s seafront. Our beach huts, land trains and vehicle access guidelines make this possible.
Accessible beach huts
Our three dedicated wheelchair accessible beach chalets are available for hire at Boscombe beach. These have enough space for four wheelchair users, accessible parking spaces (chargeable) and toilet facilities close by.
Each hut has:
- four directors chairs
- a table
- a split-level work surface
- a gas stove
- lockable cupboards
- a wall that can be taken down to connect two huts for a large group hire.
And access to:
- an electric scooter charging point
- parking bays
- wooden pathways to the beach
- a Changing Places facility with a bed, toilet, sink, shower and a ceiling-mounted tracking hoist.
For more information, or to book an accessible beach hut call 01202 123800.
Get Around Easily
For a quick and easy way to get to the beach from the cliff top, use one of our fully accessible cliff lifts. Carers and children under five travel for free.
Our wheelchair-friendly land trains can take you along the bay between Branksome Chine and Bournemouth Pier, Bournemouth Pier and Boscombe Pier, Boscombe Precinct and Boscombe Chine Gardens.
Trains run daily from April to October and during school holidays and at weekends outside of this time (subject to weather).
Beach accessible wheelchairs
For easier access onto the sand, beach-going wheelchairs fitted with balloon tyres are available on loan from Boscombe Beach Office. Available 9:30am to 4:30pm, from May to September, these are loaned on a first come, first served basis in return for a refundable £50 cash deposit.
Boscombe beach has Mobi-Mats to help wheelchair users move easily from the promenade onto the sand and closer to the sea. These are in place between Easter and September.
Cars on the promenade
There is parking on the Undercliff Drive promenade car park. Access in and out is via Sea Road and Boscombe Pier - follow all signs to Boscombe Beach.
Disabled Tax Exempt Vehicles must pay car park charges unless they have a valid Disabled Tax Exempt Permit issued by BCP Council, contact our Parking team for more information and to apply.
If you are using a beach hut, we generally try to provide access first thing in the morning and again in the evening. Check with our Seafront Rangers for exact times as these may vary.
Accessible Toilets and Changing Places
RADAR Keys can be purchased from the Bournemouth Tourist Information Centre located in Bournemouth Pier Approach.
Seafront unisex wheelchair-accessible toilets with RADAR key access:
- Alum Chine, next to the children’s playpark
- Chineside, next to Durley Chine Beach Office, opposite the Harvester pub
- Bournemouth West, between Happyland Amusements and West Beach restaurant
- Bournemouth Pier, on the east side of the building near the entrance to Bournemouth Pier
- Bournemouth East, next to Harry Ramsden’s Fish & Chip shop
- The Prom Diner, 200 metres west of Boscombe Pier
- Boscombe Overstrand, next to Urban Reef restaurant
- Portman Ravine, 400 metres east of Bournemouth Beach Lodges
- Fisherman’s Walk, 100m to the west of Fisherman’s Walk Cliff Lift and zig zag
- Gordon’s Steps, 100m to the west of Gordon's zig zag
- Southbourne, near Bistro on the Beach
Plus a Changing Places accessible facility featuring change bed, shower, electric ceiling hoist and toilet. Access with deposit key available from Boscombe Beach Office 01202 123800.