Improving the Seafront
Enhancing Bournemouth’s natural features
Bournemouth’s Seafront Strategy is an ambitious long term plan to develop a world-class seafront that will enhance the natural assets of the coastline and create public spaces and facilities to inspire new generations of visitors.
We put together the Seafront Strategy with the local tourism industry, landowners and other seafront groups and organisations.
It highlights four areas along the seafront and aims to improve their natural strengths and identities.
The distinctive character of the Chines is enhanced year on year by a program of ongoing improvements. We've made a commitment to continually improve the following features:
- Connecting the Chines with the promenade using green gateways.
- Creating a new tree tops walkway through the tree canopy and across the chine valleys.
- Improving public toilets, lighting, beach offices, beach huts, seating and promenade surfacing.
- Installing natural play areas.
During summer 2015, the facilities at Durley Chine were significantly redeveloped to include a striking glass-fronted cafe offering superb views, a new beach office and new public toilets.
In 2017 we re-landscaped an area at the base of Alum Chine. This included improving and extending the popular play facilities of the Alum Chine Play Park. The Treasure Island themed children's paradise has been very well received.
Exciting plans at Pier Approach came to fruition and phase 1 (the area to the left as you approach the pier)now provides a vibrant and contemporary welcome to visitors and residents alike. A new interactive water play area, improved landscaping, cafes, and the addition of a tourist information area have transformed the area into a welcoming family friendly space.
Work is already underway on Phase 2 (the area to the right as you approach the pier) as we continue in 2018 to make improvements. In Phase 2 we are:
- Creating the ultimate beachfront and promenade experience with widened walkways, palm tree planting and welcoming lighting to encourage visitors to stay longer.
- Promoting dining, arts and culture and events at the seafront with the Pier Approach public space and commercial hub at its centre.
Coastal Activity Park
A brand new coastal hub facility, combining surf school, commercial destination and environmental attraction has been developed at the foot of the cliffs at Toft Steps. This area is a vibrant, fun place to visit all year round.
Beyond current projects, the rest of the strategy is about an aspiration to deliver improvements over the next 15 years. Future projects will be subject to planning and separate consultation, depending on scale.