The History Of Fishermans Walk
Find out how this lovely little park came into being and who helps us look after it today
We bought this site in 1912 on the understanding that it’d become a public pleasure ground.
Before then the area was untamed dunes and cliff top vegetation. The name comes from the old trails made by local fishermen as they used this route to get to the sea.
These trails were used to form the public paths after we began transforming the site and the Fisherman’s Walk rest garden was opened in 1937. The stone wall you can see today was part of the original garden.
The woodland at the other end of the park was cleared and replanted in the 1990s as part of the Gardens of Excellence programme.
The park is cared for by the Friends of Fisherman’s Walk. They’ve taken part in bulb planting, repainting the bandstand and arranging for woodland sculptures by a local artist to be included in the park. They also arrange events and activities throughout the year.