Cycle Training For Children
Cycle training to enable children to cycle safely on the road
We use the national cycle training scheme Bikeability, which is managed by our Road Safety team and is funded by the Department for Transport. Bikeability is the modern day cycling proficiency.
Who can join?
- Children aged between 10 and 15 years old (Level 1 and 2) and children aged between 11 and 18 (Level 3).
- Children that can ride a bike one handed in order to indicate and look over their shoulder.
- Children who have their own bike and helmet and have permission from a parent or carer to take part.
- Children who live or go to school in Bournemouth.
What they learn
Level 1 and 2 Bikeability Course
Level 1 teaches trainees to control and master a bike. The training takes place in a secure environment away from cars and traffic.
Level 2 is delivered on local roads, giving trainees a real cycling experience that equips them with skills to deal with traffic on short journeys such as cycling to school or the local shops.
How long does the level 1 and 2 course take?
- During term time, Level 1 and 2 courses are held over two consecutive Saturdays.
- During school holidays, Level 1 and 2 courses are held on two consecutive days.
- The 2 day course takes a total of 7 hours from 09:00 – 12:30 on day one and 09:00 - 12:30 on day two.
To complete the course, children must attend both dates.
Level 3 Bikeability Course
For children aged 11 or over who want to improve their skills on more challenging roads and junctions we offer a Level 3 Bikeability Course. Training is delivered one-to-one or in groups of up to 3 and can be tailored to a child's needs, for example a route from home to school.
The Level 3 training is available only to those children who have previously successfully completed Bikeability Levels 1 and 2. Level 3 is normally offered to those attending secondary school, however, on occasion we may be able to train children in Year 6 who excelled in Level 1 and 2 training. This level will only be offered at the discretion of the cycling instructor. The training takes approximately two to three hours.
Level 3 training gives individuals the skills to tackle a wider variety of traffic conditions, allowing them to experience many types of road conditions and more challenging traffic scenarios.
The course covers responding to hazards, making ‘on-the-move’ risk assessments, passing queuing traffic, understanding advanced road positioning, hazard perception and strategies to deal with hazards, understanding driver blind spots, particularly for large vehicles, reacting to hazardous road surfaces and route planning for safer cycling.
Trainees will be given the opportunity to identify and plan a route for a journey they anticipate making such as home to school. The journey would then be ridden by them with one of our instructors so that they become familiar with the junction layouts, traffic levels and possible hazards to fully equip them with the knowledge to make the journey independently.
Before booking your child on this course please view this Bikeability video which will give you a full understanding of the course outcomes and what will be expected of your child during the course. This is not a course that your child can be expected to complete straight after completing Level 1 and 2 without any further practice.
How long does the Level 3 course take?
The course normally takes 2hrs 30 minutes, but extra sessions could be needed depending on the child's abilities.
Our instructors are all fully qualified to the national standard and are DBS checked.
The sessions take place at Kings Park Cycle Centre.
Level 1 and 2 Saturday Course
- Sat 27 May (day one) and Sat 3 Jun (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30
- Sat 20 Jun (day one) and Sat 27 Jun (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30
- Sat 24 Jun (day one) and Sat 1 Jul (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30
- Sat 8 Jul (day one) and Sat 15 Jul (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30
Half Term Courses
- Tue 30 May (day one) and Wed 31 May (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30
- Thu 1 Jun (day one) and Fri 2 Jun (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30
Half Term Level 3 Courses
- Wed 31 May - 14:00 - 16:30
- Thu 1 Jun - 14:00 - 16:30
- Fri 2 Jun - 14:00 - 16:30
To book a course
Please email email@example.com with the following details:-
- Parent or guardian's full name
- Child’s full name
- Age of child
- Year group
- Mobile (for emergencies)
- Requested course and preferred course date and time
Courses are booked on a first come, first served basis. Places are limited so please contact us as soon as possible with your preferred course date as the courses do get booked up very fast.
Sometimes emails may get caught in the Junk/Spam folder. We recommend you check these folders if you are expecting an email from us.
We offer Bikeability courses to all schools, so you could also check with your child's school to see if they will be offering it.