Cycle Training For Children - Level 1 & 2
Cycle training to enable children to cycle safely on the road - Level 1 and 2
We use the national cycle training scheme Bikeability, which is managed by our Road Safety team and funded by the Department for Transport. Bikeability is the modern day cycling proficiency.
Bikeability is today’s cycle training programme. It’s like cycling proficiency, but better! It’s about gaining practical skills and understanding how to cycle on today’s roads. Bikeability gives everyone the skills and confidence for all kinds of cycling.
There are three Bikeability levels, each designed to improve cycling skills, no matter what is known already. Our two day Level 1 & 2 course starts with basic control skills (Level 1) and concludes by equipping trainees with the skills to cycle safely on local roads (Level 2).
Our Level 3 course equips trainees with the skills to tackle a winder variety of traffic conditions than Level 2 and will enable trainees to plan and make independent journeys on busier roads.
Level 1 and 2 Bikeability Course (2 day course)
Level 1 teaches trainees to control and master a bike. The training takes place in a secure environment away from cars and traffic. Level 1 encourages and develops basic cycle control skills and gives trainees the confidence to use their cycles more often.
Level 2 is delivered on local roads, giving trainees a real cycling experience that equips them with skills to deal with traffic on short journeys such as cycling to school or the local shops. Level 2 will encourage and develop safe cycling skills, develop positive attitudes towards road use, increase knowledge and understanding of the road and traffic environment and give trainees the confidence to use their bicycles on local road.
Course Dates 2018
Level 1 and 2 Spring Term Saturday Course Dates
- New dates to be scheduled soon
Half Term Course Dates
- Mon 12 Feb (day one) and Tue 13 Feb (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30 - Fully booked (waiting list only)
- Mon 12 Feb (day one) and Tue 13 Feb (day two) - 13:00 - 16:00 - Places available
- Thu 15 Feb (day one) and Fri 16 Feb (day two) - 09:00 - 12:30 - Fully booked (waiting list only)
The sessions take place at Kings Park Cycle Centre.
Who can join?
- are aged between 10 and 18 years old (Level 1 and 2) and children aged between 11 and 18 (Level 3).
- can ride a bike one handed in order to indicate and look over their shoulder.
- have their own bike and helmet and have permission from a parent or carer to take part.
- live or go to school in Bournemouth.
How long does the level 1 and 2 course take?
- During term time, Level 1 and 2 courses are held over two consecutive Saturdays.
- During school holidays, Level 1 and 2 courses are held on two consecutive days.
- The 2 day course takes a total of 7 hours from 09:00 – 12:30 on day one and 09:00 - 12:30 on day two.
To complete the course, children must attend both dates.
Our instructors are all fully qualified to the national standard and are DBS checked.
How to book
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01202 454636 with the following details together with your preferred course date:-
- Parent or guardian's full name
- Child’s full name
- Age of child
- Year group
- Mobile (for emergencies)
- Preferred course date and time
Courses are booked on a first come, first served basis. Places are limited so please contact us as soon as possible with your preferred course date as the courses do get booked up very fast.
Sometimes emails may get caught in the Junk/Spam folder. We recommend you check these folders if you are expecting an email from us.
We also offer Bikeability courses to all schools, so you could check with your child's school to see if they will be offering it.