Cycle Training For Children - Level 1 & 2
Cycle training for children aged 10 and over to help build the skills and confidence to ride a bike safely on the road.
July 2020 Update
All of our summer holiday courses are now fully booked and we are only accepting requests for the waiting list. New Autumn course dates will be scheduled soon and we will inform those on the waiting list of the new dates as soon as we have them. If you would like to go on the waiting list for the summer holiday and / or Autumn courses, please email us, as per the booking process below.
Due to all council staff being instructed to work from home for the foreseeable future, there is no active telephone number to field enquiries, so please do use the Road Safety email below to contact us and please be patient whilst waiting for a reply. We do have hundreds of emails to get through in relation to Bikeability.
Thank you for your patience.
Bikeabilty training returns
We are now able to offer our Summer Holiday Kings Park programme, for both Level 1 & 2 courses and also Level 3 courses. These will be provided in line with current Government Covid-19 guidance and the Bikeability Trust's updated Bikeability Guidance, which has meant a reduction in course ratios, social distancing rules and additional PPE / sanitisation provisions,
Bikeability is today’s national cycle training scheme. It’s like cycling proficiency, but better. It’s about gaining practical skills and understanding how to cycle on today’s roads. There are three Bikeability levels, each designed to improve cycling skills.
Level 1 and 2 Bikeability Course (2 day course)
This course is a combined Level 1 & 2 course and children must attend both days.
Level 1 focuses on the skills necessary to be able to control a bike. The training takes place in a secure environment away from cars and traffic. We will check helmets are correctly fitted and the bikes are roadworthy. Training will include the use of gears, riding whilst signalling, emergency stops and negotiating obstacles, looking all around you, including behind. Although this is a two day course, encompassing both Level 1 and Level 2, children must pass Level 1 before being able to progress onto Level 2.
Level 2 is delivered on local, residential roads. It gives riders a real cycling experience that equips them with skills to deal with traffic on short local journeys, such as cycling to school or the local shops. Level 2 will encourage and develop safe cycling skills, develop positive attitudes towards road use, increase knowledge and understanding of the road and traffic environment and give riders the confidence to use their bicycles on local road. Riders will learn how to:-
- start and finish a journey
- pass side roads and parked vehicles
- make left, right and U turns
- understand where to position yourself when riding on the road
- to be aware of everything around them whilst riding
- to explain decisions made during cycling and thereby demonstrate understanding of a safe cycling strategy
Children who have successfully completed Level 1 and 2 and are already an experienced and confident cyclist can progress to our Level 3 course.
This Level 1 & 2 two day course takes a total of 7 hours from 09:00–12:30 or 13:00-16:30 on day one, 09:00-12:30 or 13:00-16:30 on day two. To complete the course, children must attend both dates.
Next course dates for summer holidays 2020
- Thu 23 Jul & Fri 24 Jul - 09:00 - 12:30 / 13:00 - 16:30
- Mon 27 Jul & Tue 28 Jul - 09:00 - 12:30 /13:00 - 16:30
- Thu 30 Jul & Fri 31 Jul - 09:00 - 12:30 / 13:00 - 16:30
- Mon 3 Aug & Tue 4 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 /13:00 - 16:30
- Wed 5 Aug & Thu 6 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 /13:00 - 16:30
- Tue 11 Aug & Wed 12 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 /13:00 - 16:30
- Thu 13 Aug & Fri 14 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 / 13:00 - 16:30
- Mon 17 Aug & Tue 18 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 /13:00 - 16:30
- Wed 19 Aug & Thu 20 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 / 13:00 - 16:30
- Tue 25 Aug & Wed 26 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 / 13:00 - 16:30
- Thu 27 Aug & Fri 28 Aug - 09:00 - 12:30 / 13:00 - 16:30
The courses take place at Kings Park Cycle Centre.
Who can join?
are aged between 10 and 15 years old for Level 1 and 2.
are aged between 11 and 18 for Level 3.
can ride a bike one handed in order to indicate and look over their shoulder.
have their own bike and helmet and have permission from a parent or carer to take part.
- Children who live or go to school in Bournemouth as these courses are specifically for Bournemouth residents. This is due to the BCP teams not having been merged yet as a result of the delays caused by Covid-19. We do hope to be fully merged by the end of this financial year. If you are a Christchurch resident please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details of their courses and email@example.com if you are a Poole resident.
Our instructors are all fully qualified to the National Standard, are DBS checked and first aid trained.
We are able to offer our Kings Park Bikeability courses free of charge as we receive funding from the Department of Transport.
How to book
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information giving us preferred course dates and the following information (please give as many possible course dates as possible together with requested time):
Courses are booked on a first come, first served basis. Places are limited, so please contact us as soon as possible with your preferred course date and time.
The courses do get booked up very fast. Please provide a couple of alternative dates to help us process your booking request as quickly as possible. Please allow a few days for a reply.
Sometimes emails may get caught in the Junk/Spam folder. We recommend you check these folders if you are expecting an email from us.
We also offer Bikeability courses to all schools. Check with your child's school to see if they will be offering it in the Autumn term.
See, the attached Bikeability MORI Report for further information on the positive impact the Bikeability scheme has on children and their parents.
Please note that we do keep your details on our file for our own records and we may contact you again to let you know of future relevant Bikeability courses however your personal information will not be shared with other organisations. If you would prefer that your personal information be deleted following the course and would not like to be contacted again by our department, please let us know.