Cycle Training For Children - Level 1 & 2
Cycle training for children aged 10 and over to help build the skills and confidence to ride a bike safely on the road
Bikeability is today’s national cycle training scheme. It’s like cycling proficiency, but better. It’s about gaining practical skills and understanding how to cycle on today’s roads. There are three Bikeability levels, each designed to improve cycling skills.
Level 1 and 2 Bikeability Course (2 day course)
Level 1 teaches trainees to control and master a bike. The training takes place in a secure environment away from cars and traffic. Encourages and develops basic cycle control skills and gives trainees the confidence to use their cycles more often.
Level 2 is delivered on local roads. It gives trainees a real cycling experience that equips them with skills to deal with traffic on short journeys, such as cycling to school or the local shops. Level 2 will encourage and develop safe cycling skills, develop positive attitudes towards road use, increase knowledge and understanding of the road and traffic environment and give trainees the confidence to use their bicycles on local road.
Children who have successfully completed Level 1 and 2 and are already an experienced and confident can progress to our Level 3 course.
The 2 day course takes a total of 7 hours from 09:00–12:30 or 13:00-16:30 on day one, 09:00-12:30 or 13:00-16:30 on day two. To complete the course, children must attend both dates.
Saturday Course Dates 2019
- Sat 08.06.19 & Sat 15.06.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Sat 22.06.19 & Sat 29.06.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Sat 06.07.19 & Sat 13.07.19 -13:00 - 16:30
May Half Term Course Dates
- Tue 28.05.19 & Wed 29.05.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 (fully booked) or 13:00 - 16:30 (1 space only)
- Thu 30.05.19 & Fri 31.05.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 (1 space only) or 13:00 - 16:30 (spaces available)
Summer Holiday Course Dates
- Thu 25.07.19 & Fri 26.07.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Wed 31.07.19 & Thu 01.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Tue 06.08.19 & Wed 07.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Thu 08.08.19 & Fri 09.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Mon 12.08.19 & Tue 13.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Wed 14.08.19 & Thu 15.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Tue 20.08.19 & Wed 21.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
- Thu 22.08.19 & Fri 23.08.19 - 09:00 - 12:30 or 13:00 - 16:30
The courses take place at Kings Park Cycle Centre.
Who can join?
are aged between 10 and 15 years old for Level 1 and 2.
are aged between 11 and 18 for Level 3.
can ride a bike one handed in order to indicate and look over their shoulder.
have their own bike and helmet and have permission from a parent or carer to take part.
live or go to school in Bournemouth.
Our instructors are all fully qualified to the National Standard, are DBS checked and first aid trained.
We are able to offer our Kings Park Bikeability courses free of charge as we receive funding from the Department of Transport.
How to book
Please email us at email@example.com or call 01202 454636 with the following details together with your preferred course date(s):-
Courses are booked on a first come, first served basis. Places are limited, so please contact us as soon as possible with your preferred course date and time.
The courses do get booked up very fast. It's also helpful if you can give a couple of alternative dates. Please allow a few days for a reply.
Sometimes emails may get caught in the Junk/Spam folder. We recommend you check these folders if you are expecting an email from us.
We also offer Bikeability courses to all schools. Check with your child's school to see if they will be offering it.
Please note that we do keep your details on our file for our own records and we may contact you again to let you know of future relevant Bikeability courses however your personal information will not be shared with other organisations. However, if you would prefer that your personal information be deleted following the course and would not like to be contacted again by our department, please let us know.