Check You Qualify For An Extra Rubbish Bin
Before you apply for an extra rubbish bin, make sure you meet the criteria
Who can apply for an extra bin?
You can apply for an additional rubbish bin if you use recycling and food waste collections AND live in a household with:
- five or more permanent occupants or
- two or more children in nappies or
- someone who has a medical condition that creates extra waste.
Please be aware, if you apply for a second rubbish bin you are confirming that you meet the criteria. No bin will be delivered if information you provide is not correct.
How we decide whether you can have an extra bin
Your application is assessed and a Waste Awareness Officer visits your home to decide if you can have an extra bin.
The extra bin costs £43 which you (or your landlord if you live in a rented property) have to pay.
No charge if you receive certain benefits
The extra bin is free if you, or another permanent resident at the property, receive any of the following income-based benefits:
- Housing Benefit
- Council Tax Benefit
- Income Support
You will need to prove that you receive these benefits. When the Waste Awareness Officer visits your home, please have your documents ready (for example, an entitlement letter). We can't arrange delivery of your bin until we have seen proof of your benefits, so this avoids any delay.
If the Waste Awareness Officer agrees you can have an extra bin, it will be delivered after you have paid for it, or after we have seen evidence of your benefits.
- Bins remain our property at all times. You may have to return the bin if we ask you to.
- Bins are allocated to an individual property, by a sticker placed on the side of the bin.
- You are responsible for the care and placement of the bin, other than collection day.
- If your household is no longer eligible for the extra bin or you are moving outside of Bournemouth, you must contact us to arrange for the removal of the bin.
- If the bin is misused or we find you no longer qualify for an extra bin, we may remove it.
- If you've applied for an extra bin because you have two or more children in nappies, we will review your needs after two years .
- No refunds or part-refunds will be given if a bin is removed.