Your rights are the same whatever ceremony you have
You don’t need to exchange vows for a civil partnership, but you can do so if you wish.
You, your partner and two witnesses must sign the schedule.
You can choose to have a ceremony or not.
If you want a ceremony, you can have this at a Register Office or a licensed venue (such as a hotel).
When you’re in a civil partnership, you have partnership rights. These include:
- Social security and pension benefits, including the right to benefit from a dead partner’s pension.
- Recognition under inheritance rules.
- Ability to succeed tenancy rights.
- Next-of-kin visiting rights in hospital.
- Ability to gain parental responsibility for each other’s children.
- Right to register your partner’s death.