Documents You Need To Bring To Serve Notice

Please bring the following documents to your appointment

Proof of nationality

Valid passport or full birth certificate. 

If you were born after 01/01/1983 and do not have a valid passport you must bring

  • full birth certificate
  • your parents' passports or their birth certificates
  • your parents marriage certificate (if applicable)

Proof of address

A council tax bill issued within the last 12 months, a utility bill issued within 3 months or a bank statement issued within one month.

Proof of condition, if applicable

Decree absolute/death certificate.

Please note if you have a foreign divorce/death certificate, a certificated you also need to bring a translation by a third party along with the original document. In some instances these documents may need to be sent off to the Registrar General for verification. This may delay the issue of your authorities for marriage.

Proof of name change, if applicable

Name change documents (deed poll)


There is a charge of £35 per notice which can be paid at your appointment.