Animal Boarding Establishments

To run a pet boarding home such as a kennel, you need a licence

Anyone can apply for a licence unless they've been banned from owning animals.

To apply, renew or amend an existing licence for a Animal Boarding Licence please complete the application form, read the accompanying conditions and pay the application fee of £110.00.

The licence starts from the date of issue and ends 31st December in that year.

Can I appeal if you reject my application?

Yes. You need to appeal within 21 days of receiving the rejection. First contact us to let us know what went wrong. If it needs to go further, the appeal will be taken up with the local Magistrates’ Court.

What our inspectors look for

We want to make sure that all pets and animals have a safe, comforting and caring home to stay in. Our inspectors check that all animals are:

  • In suitable accommodation  
  • Given food, drink and bedding materials
  • Free to exercise
  • Visited regularly
  • Safe from disease
  • On a register with the animals’ arrival and departure dates, and the names and addresses of the owners

We organise inspections for licensed premises. Inspections can be completed by our animal welfare officers or an environmental health officer.

Making a complaint about a Boarding Establishment

You can contact the trader by writing a letter about the problem you’ve encountered. If that doesn’t work, you can get free advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

If you would like to make a complaint about how we've dealt with your enquiry (not a boarding establishment), please follow our complaints procedure.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451451


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name