Gambling Act 2005 and Licences

Gambling Act Premises Licences 

The Gambling Act 2005

The Gambling Act 2005 splits the responsibility of gambling between the Gambling Commission and local authorities. As the local authority in Bournemouth, we must:

  • Prevent gambling from being a source of crime or disorder.
  • Ensure that gambling is conducted in a fair and open way.
  • Protect children and other vulnerable persons from being harmed or exploited by gambling.

Visit the Gambling Commission website to find out more.

Statement of Gambling Policy

Our Statement of Gambling Policy is a legally required document and is reviewed every three years. It sets the enforcement regime for gambling establishment within Bournemouth.

Gambling Licences

There are two main types of licence:

  • Operating Licence – to apply for an operating licence, you need to go through the Gambling Commission’s website.
  • Premises Licence – you need an operating licence before applying for a premise licence.

You can apply for a premises licence at the same time as making an application for an operating licence.   

Why do I need a Premises Licence?

You need a premises licence if you want to offer premises-based gambling. You will need your operating licence number when making your premises licence application.

We offer premises licences for:

  • Casinos
  • Bingo premises
  • Betting premises, including tracks
  • Adult gaming centres
  • Family entertainment centres

There is a fee for each type of licence.


As well as issuing premises licences, we can also give permits for:

  • Unlicensed family entertainment centres
  • Club gaming and Club gaming machines
  • Licensed premises gaming machines for Pubs
  • Prize gaming