Licence to Sell Fireworks

We are responsible for the sale of fireworks and licence retailers selling fireworks

The Health and Safety Executive regulates public firework displays but we have to make sure the people selling them are licenced.

Before you can sell fireworks we will inspect your premises to make sure that you’re following the relevant laws that keep yourself and others safe, you also need to submit a Fireworks Regulations form.

If you want to sell fireworks you need a licence.  We licence premises to store up to 2000kg of explosives.  To apply for a storage licence please complete the application form, provide the documentation detailed in the form and pay the application fee.   The licence lasts for one year and needs to be renewed annually if you wish to continue selling fireworks.  An annual renewal fee is payable.  

This licence permits you to sell at the following times:

  • 15 October to 10 November
  • 26 December to 31 December
  • On the first day of the Chinese New Year and the three days immediately preceding it
  • On the day of Diwali and the three days immediately preceding it

If you want to sell fireworks outside of these periods you need an annual fireworks licence from us.  To apply for an annual licence please complete the application form.  An application fee of £500.00 is payable.  This licence is in addition to the storage licence so you will need to complete BOTH forms.

Please send completed application forms to Trading Standards Service, Town Hall Annexe, St. Stephen’s Road, Bournemouth, BH2 6EA.

Please submit your application at least one month before you intend to sell so we have the necessary time to process your application. 

See the Firework Safety Advice website for more information.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451451


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name