The Licensing Act 2003

How to apply for a licence that covers late entertainment, alcohol, and cinemas. View public notices.

The Licensing Act 2003 covers any establishment that wishes to supply alcohol, regulated entertainment and late night refreshment, such as:

  • public houses
  • theatres
  • cinemas
  • restaurants
  • nightclubs
  • hotels

The duty under Section 57 of the Licensing Act 2003, to keep and produce your premises licence on request, has been amended in accordance with the Business and Planning Act 2020 which has modified licences to authorise off sales for a limited period.

Under Section 172L(6)(a) of the Business and Planning Act 2020 the holder of a premises licence must ensure that a statement is kept at the premises which makes it clear that the premises are being used for the sale of alcohol for consumption off the premises (if not already licensed to do so) and/or restrictive conditions have been temporarily suspended.

In order to assist we have published two following templates:

  • On Licences – this is for premises not currently licensed for off sales
  • On and off Licences – this is for premises currently licensed for both on and off sales which have restrictive conditions on their licence in respect of off sales.

These templates have been produced to assist premises to create one which works for them and for their own use. It is not a permission granted by BCP Council.

Temporary events

A Temporary Event Notice (TEN) can be used to authorise small-scale events involving the sale and supply of alcohol and the provision of public entertainment.

Statement of licensing policy

Our Statement of licensing policy is a legally required document and is reviewed every 5 years. It sets out the steps we take to promote the licensing objectives.

How to make an application

From 6 April 2017, all applications for a new premises licence, transfer of premises licence and personal licences have to be made by someone who is over the age of 18 and if they are living in the UK they must be entitled to work in the UK in a licensable activity.

To be valid, all applications must be accompanied by a copy of one of the documents as shown in Annex A.

You can apply by post or online via the Home Office website. Information about application fees can be found on the GOV.UK website.

If you apply by post, you must also submit copies of your application to the responsible authorities.

How to make representations on an application

Representations about a current application must be made in writing and received by us either on or before the date shown on the notice advertising the application.

Guidance notes for how to make a licensing representation.

Please send representations to:

The Licensing Team
BCP Council
Town Hall Annexe
St Stephens Road


Public notices

Please see below a list of current licence applications: 


Licensing applications