To run a pet shop, you need a licence
Anyone can apply for a licence unless they've been banned from owning animals.
To apply, renew or amend an existing licence for a Pet Shop Licence please complete the application form, read the accompanying conditions and pay the application fee of £110.00.
The licence starts from the date of issue and ends 31st December in that year.
What our inspectors look for
We want to make sure that all pets and animals have a safe, comforting and caring home to stay in. Our inspectors check that all animals are:
- In suitable accommodation
- Given food, drink and bedding materials
- Free to exercise
- Visited regularly
- Safe from disease
- On a register with the animals’ arrival and departure dates, and the names and addresses of the owners
We organise inspections for licensed premises. Inspections can be completed by our animal welfare officers or an environmental health officer.
Can I appeal if you reject my application?
Yes. You need to appeal within 21 days of receiving the rejection. First contact us to let us know what went wrong. If it needs to go further, the appeal will be taken up with the local Magistrates’ Court.
Offences and Penalties
The offences and penalties that apply to the pet shops are:
any person found guilty of keeping a pet shop without a licence may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both.
- any person found guilty of failing to comply with their licence conditions may be subject to a fine not exceeding £500 or to three months imprisonment or both.
- any person found guilty of obstructing or delaying an Inspector, or authorised Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinary Practitioner in the exercising of their powers of entry may be fined up to a maximum of £500.
If found guilty under this Act, the defendant's licence may be cancelled and they may be disqualified from keeping a pet shop for such length of time as the Court thinks fit.
Pet Shop Register
Business establishments currently registered as pet shops within the Bournemouth Borough are listed in the table below.
||280 Wallisdown Road
|Wild World Reptile Centre
||876 Wimborne Road
|Five Ways Pet Shop
||393 Charminster Road
||527 Christchurch Road
||95 Seabourne Road
|BJ's Ornamental Koi
||371 Kinson Road
||710 Wimborne Road
|Pets at Home
||Unit 2 Westover Retail Park, Castle Lane West
Making a complaint about a Pet Shop
If you wish to make a complaint about a pet shop, please contact us as detailed below.