Sex Establishment Licences
A sex establishment can be a sexual entertainment venue, a sex shop or a sex cinema
A sexual entertainment venue is any premises at which any live performance or live display of nudity which is solely for the purpose of sexually stimulating any member of an audience (whether by verbal or other means). This is known as Relevant Entertainment.
If you are found operating a sex establishment without a licence, or in breach of your current conditions, you may be prosecuted. If found guilty of an offence you will be liable for a fine up to £20,000.
Sex Establishment Policy and Regulations
The Sex Establishment Licensing Policy sets out how applications for all sex establishments will be administered, monitored and enforced, this was written with reference to the Home Office Guidance.
It is anticipated that this will guide prospective applicants, residents and decision makers about the application process and the expectations of the council. It includes advice on where applications may be refused and also on what statutory grounds the council may refuse or grant an application.
The Current Policy as adopted at the Council Committee held on 17th January 2017, this followed full public consultation and consideration by the Licensing Board during 2016. View the Policy document and associated Regulations.
Making an application
We have a limit to how many licences we can issue. We must consider:
- The suitability of the applicant
- The location and situation of the premises in relation to other premises in the area
- Whether the number of sex establishments in that locality is equal to or exceeds the number which the Council considers appropriate for the area
Use our application form if you'd like to apply for a sex establishment licence.
Temporary Event Notice
Premises which provide relevant entertainment on an infrequent basis, but that have exceeded their limits to fall within the exemption of requiring a licence, may apply for a temporary event notice. The limits are as follows:
- There have not been more than eleven occasions on which such entertainment has been provided within a period of 12 months;
- No such occasion has lasted for more than 24 hours; and
- There has been a period of at least one month between each such occasion.
You can find more details on the regulations surrounding Sex Establishments here.
New Application - Non returnable
Sexual Entertainment Venue - £4000.00
Sex Shop/Cinema - £1812.00
Sexual Entertainment Venue - £3000.00
Sex Shop/Cinema - £1866.00