Dangerous Wild Animal Licence

If you want to keep a dangerous wild animal you need a licence, which you must get before buying the animal.


The Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 regulates the keeping of dangerous wild animals.

Animals mentioned in the act include:

  • wild boar
  • emu
  • ostrich
  • venomous snakes
  • capuchin monkeys

Check the list of dangerous animals if you are not sure if you need a licence.

The application process

We will check that:

  • you are a suitable owner
  • the location of the accommodation meets the required standards
  • the care for the animal meets the required standards
  • there is no safety risk

If granted, the licence will need annual renewal and a fee is payable. As well as the licence fee, the applicant may also have extra vets fees to pay.

Applying for a licence

The fee is £110.00.  Please complete the application form.

Payment Options


Please send your completed application form to animal.welfare@bcpcouncil.gov.uk with your contact number and then a member of the team will call you back to take payment. You can pay by debit card or credit card.

Postal applications

If you apply by post, please complete this form and send with the appropriate fee to: -

Animal Welfare Team
Town Hall Annex

Please make cheques payable to BCP Council