Personal Licence To Sell Alcohol

If you sell alcohol from a licensed premises then you, or a member of your staff, must hold a Personal Licence

How do I apply?

You can apply and find out about the fees by post or online via the Home Office website.

How do I renew my licence

You do not need to renew your personal licence (with effect from 1 April 2015)

How do I update my licence?

Tell the the council which originally issued your licence about any changes.

To change your name or address, write to us with the following:

  • Your new name or address
  • Both the paper part and the card part of your personal licence (or if you are unable to find it, report that your licence has been lost to the Police and provide us with the reference number)
  • Fee of £10.50.

Please note - if the information on your licence is not up to date, you are committing an offence.

What happens if I move to another area?

Your Personal Licence is portable throughout England and Wales. This means that you can use your personal licence to be the Designated Premises Supervisor at any premises in England and Wales. However if you do move, you must tell the Licensing Authority that issued your personal licence of your new address.

What if I have a criminal conviction?

You are required to declare relevant and foreign offences. If you have one of these offences, the Licensing Authority will consult with the Police who have an opportunity to object to you being granted a Personal Licence. For further information regarding this please contact the relevant Licensing Authority.

Data matching

We are under a duty to protect the public funds we administer. We may use the information you have provided on this form for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For further information, see