Getting Approval for Your Food Business

You need our approval to sell meat, dairy and eggs

We need to approve any business selling unprocessed animal products. These include the following items:


  • Minced meat
  • Meat preparations
  • Mechanically separated meat
  • Meat products

Fish and shellfish

  • Live Bi Valve Molluscs
  • Fishery products


  • Raw milk (other than raw cows’ milk)
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs (not primary production)
  • Egg products


  • Frogs legs and snails
  • Rendered animal fats and greases
  • Treated stomachs, bladders and intestines
  • Gelatin and collagen
  • Certain cold stores
  • Certain wholesale markets

For information about Health and Safety standards in a food business, visit the Government Health and Safety website

How do I get approval?

Call us and ask for an inspector to visit your premises.

You’ll need to complete the form we send you and give us a scale plan telling us your arrangements for the following:

  • Waste collection and disposal
  • Water supply quality testing
  • Product testing (shelf life/microbiological/water)
  • Pest control
  • Monitoring staff health and staff hygiene training
  • Record keeping
  • Applying the identification mark to product packaging or wrapping

Once approved, we will issue you with an approval number. It makes up part of the standard identification mark that you must put on your products and documentation. It looks like an oval mark containing the unique three digit approval number that can be traced back to your business.