Registering a Food Business

If you’re starting a food business, you need to register it with us

As an employer or manager, you have certain responsibilities under food safety legislation. To make sure your food business satisfies certain standards it needs to be registered with us.

If you’re planning to sell unprocessed meat and eggs, you’ll need to get approval as well.

Registering your food business

Make sure you have the correct planning authorisation for your type of food operation. You need to register your food business with us, even if you have purchased an existing business.

Planning authorisation needs to be submitted 28 days before the change over or opening.  You can complete our online food business registration form. There’s no fee for registration.

Are mobile food vendors different from food businesses?

Mobile Food Vendors are still food businesses, so they need to register. Our food business registration form covers mobile food businesses as well as businesses in permanent premises.

We do not give permission to trade and you will have to make your own commercial arrangements. If you had it in mind to trade in the streets of Bournemouth then you need to contact town centre manager on 01202 454807 or if you are thinking of trading on the beach then contact the beach office on 01202 451783.

Boscombe Market

If you would like to trade on Boscombe Market, please contact the Boscombe Centre Manager on 01202 456173

Further information is available in the mobile traders pack.

What hygiene facilities do I need to provide?

The main priority for any food business is hygiene. We run inspections to check that food businesses have the right facilities for personal cleanliness.

 You need to have:

  • Clean ventilated toilets that don’t lead directly into food rooms.
  • Wash-hand basins with a supply of hot and cold water, soap and hand drying facilities.
  • Protective over-clothing for food handlers. They can only be worn at work so a suitable changing area away from the food rooms must be provided.
  • Ventilation that should be designed to allow easy access for cleaning and maintenance. 
  • Arrangements for the hygienic storage and regular removal of waste. Businesses have a separate waste disposal facility to domestic use.
  • Customer toilet facilities if you provide seats for more than eight people to consume food on the premises.
  • Specific training in food hygiene for food handlers.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451451


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name