Consumer Advice

Contact the advice and reporting service if you think you have been unfairly treated 

Contact the national body that collates information for Trading Standards and government monitoring bodies.

They do not intervene in consumer matters or take action against traders.

In many cases their advice will be enough to tell you where you stand and how to proceed.

However, where a criminal matter is identified they will pass the information to your local council.

Further information

Citizens Advice deal with the full range of consumer issues such as faulty goods, bad service delivery, scams and offer the full range of advice required to solve or report issues.