Free School Meals
How to apply for free school meals for your children
We want to make sure that every child eats well when they’re at school. If your family finds it difficult to afford a decent lunch for your children, you can apply for free school meals.
Who qualifies for free school meals?
If your household income is below £16,190, your children may be entitled to free school meals.
A quick way to find out is to check if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Universal Credit
- Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
- Child Tax Credit (if you're not entitled to Working Tax credit and have a yearly income of less than £16,190 before tax and any other deductions)
- The Guarantee Element of State Pension Credit
If you are eligible for free school meals this will enable your child’s school to access The Pupil Premium Grant. This grant must be spent by your child’s school to help eligible pupils reach their full potential, both academically and socially. The school will decide how best to spend this.
How to apply for free school meals
You can apply for free school meals online. We’ll tell you whether we can give you free meals within a week. We’ll also send a report to the school to let them know your children have qualified for free school meals.
If you have any questions or need help, contact our Customer Service team.