Free School Meals
How to apply for free school meals for your children
We want to make sure that every child eats well when they’re at school. If your family finds it difficult to afford a decent lunch for your children, you can apply for free school meals.
Who qualifies for free school meals?
Your child might be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit. You must also have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018, your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
If your child is eligible for and gets free school meals at any time before 31 March 2022, they remain eligible until this date.
You do not need to apply for Free School Meals again if you are already eligible at a Bournemouth School.
If you are eligible for free school meals, your child’s school can access The Pupil Premium Grant. This grant must be spent by your child’s school to help eligible pupils reach their full potential, both academically and socially. The school decides how best to spend this.
How to apply for free school meals
Please note: If you have a child that attends one of the schools listed below, please contact the school directly to apply for Free School Meals:
- Bethany CE Junior School
- Elm Academy
- Heathlands Primary School
- LeAF Studios
- Muscliff Primary School
- Oak Academy
- Queen’s Park Infant Academy
- St Clement’s & St John’s CE Primary School
- St Jame’s CE Primary School
- St Luke’s CE Primary School
- Stourfield Junior School
If your child's school is not listed above, you can apply for free school meals online. We’ll tell you whether we can give you free meals within a week. We’ll also send a report to the school to let them know your children have qualified for free school meals.
If you have any questions or need help, contact our Customer Service team.