Council Tax for your Main Residence

What ‘sole or main residence’ means and how it affects council tax

A sole or main residence is the term that the High Courts use for the permanent address that is your only or main house.

You may have to pay the full charge of council tax if at least two adults live at a property as their sole or main residence.

However, if you live on your own, you may be entitled to a 25% single person's discount.

What we count as ‘residence’

Residence is a home that you live in permanently (until you move out). Temporary presence at an address does not make a person ‘resident’ there. For example, someone staying with you for a holiday would not be classed as ‘living’ at your address. But if someone stayed with you temporarily because they had nowhere else to live, they would be treated as living with you.

If your spouse, partner, adult child, or sub-tenant/lodger, works away for most of the year, we treat them as living at your address, so you won’t get a discount. This also includes children studying away from home. 

However, in the case of students, they will probably be ‘disregarded’ in calculating your Council Tax.