What is Council Tax?
All domestic properties in the UK are charged council tax
Council tax helps to pay for council services as well as Dorset Police and Dorset Fire and Rescue Services.
Most homes have to pay council tax. There’s only one bill per household.
Who pays council tax?
You need to be over 18 to pay for council tax and one of the following:
- A freeholder who lives in the property
- A leaseholder that lives in the property
- A tenant who lives in the property
- Someone with a licence to live in the property
- Any other person (including squatters)
If nobody lives in the property, the owner still needs to pay council tax if they are the freeholder or leaseholder.
A Guide to your Council Tax
Our leaflet on council tax bills explains how we spend your council tax on local services.