Who are Disregarded Persons?

We don’t charge council tax to some adult residents

When counting the number of adults in a property, certain people are not included in council tax, they are known as ‘disregarded persons’.

Disregarded persons are:

  • Full time students, student nurses and project 2000 nurses, and foreign language assistants.
  • Certain non-British spouses and dependents of students.
  • Youth Training trainees (inc. YCTs, Options, Future and Next Step) and apprentices.
  • Persons in detention, for example, prisoners.
  • Severely mentally impaired persons.
  • Persons over 18 for whom Child Benefit is payable.
  • 18 and 19 year olds who are at school, or have just left school or college
  • Patients resident in hospital.
  • Persons in residential care homes.
  • People caring for someone in their property with a disability who is not a spouse, partner, or child under 18.
  • Care workers on low pay living in accommodation provided by an employer.
  • Residents of certain hostels.
  • Members of international headquarters and defence organisations and their dependents.
  • Members of Visiting Forces and dependents, for example, lodging with British citizens.
  • Members of certain religious communities.
  • Diplomats and senior officials (and their dependants) of certain international organisations.

Disregarded persons aren’t taken into account when counting adults in a residence. Even if a property has more than two adults, a discount of 25% or 50% may still apply.

Change in Circumstances

If you’ve had a discount with your recent bill, you must let us know about any changes in circumstances (such as people moving in or out of the property). If you don’t tell us, you may risk a £70 fine and a backdated bill.