Appealing Your Liability, Discount or Exemption

How to appeal against your liability, discount or exemption

You can appeal against a decision made about your council tax liability if you:

  • disagree that you are the person liable to pay council tax
  • think your property should be exempt from council tax
  • think you should be entitled to a discount

If you do not agree with a decision made by us you can write to us or email us. Remember to give us your name, full Bournemouth address, council tax reference number and the reason(s) for the appeal. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the appeal, or you have not received a response to the appeal within two months of making it, you can then make a further appeal to the Valuation Tribunal.

If you have an appeal pending, you must continue to pay the current council tax amount. If your appeal is successful, you can ask us to refund any overpaid council tax.

If you receive Council Tax Support due to a low income and are not happy with the decision please look at the Council Tax Reduction Appeal section