Council Tax Exemption - Carers

If you are a carer, we may be able to disregard you from the Council Tax charge

To be classed as a ‘carer’ for Council Tax you must meet the following criteria:

Where care is provided on a voluntary basis

Please note that a carer discount cannot be claimed for looking after a spouse or partner or by a parent for looking after a child under 18 years old.

If care is provided on a voluntary basis:

  • the person being cared for must be entitled to at least one of the following state benefits:
    • the middle or highest rate care component of a Disability Living Allowance
    • any rate of Attendance Allowance
    • the highest amount increase in Disablement Pension
    • an increase in Constant Attendance Allowance
    • the standard or enhanced rate of the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
    • armed Forces Independence Payment
  • the carer must live in the same property
  • the carer must provide care for at least an average of 35 hours a week.

Where care is provided on a paid basis

If care is provided on a paid basis, the carer must be:

  • paid no more than £44.00 a week
  • employed to provide care or support for at least 24 hours a week
  • be employed by a local authority or charity (or employed direct by the person being cared for if introduced via a local authority or charity)
  • resident in premises provided by the employer for the purpose of providing the care