Council Tax - Students

Council Tax discounts and exemptions for students

Some people are ignored when working out Council Tax. In some cases a property is exempted from Council Tax completely.

There are three categories of students for Council Tax purposes:

Full time students

Full time students must be enrolled with a university, college or some other institution that only or mainly provides courses of further or higher education.

The course must also satisfy all of the following conditions:

  •  last a full calendar year (or if the establishment operates on an academic year, a full academic year).
  • require study which amounts to an average of at least 21 hours a week over a full year
  • require the person to undertake it for a minimum of 24 weeks in each year of the course

Students under 20 years old

Under 20 year olds not undertaking a full time course as detailed above may still count as students for Council Tax purposes if they are:

  • required to study for more than 12 hours per week
  • on a course lasting three months or more
  • not on a higher education course
  • normally expected to attend college between 8.00a.m. and 5.30p.m.

Foreign language assistants

These are people appointed as foreign language assistants at schools or similar establishments in this country and who are registered with the British Council.

Evidence you need to provide

You need to get a Council Tax exemption certificate from your University or College that shows the dates of your course. You must apply and provide us with a copy of your exemption certificate. (If you attend Bournemouth University or the Arts University College at Bournemouth we do not normally require your exemption certificate).

Once the course end date has been reached, any student exemption will end.  You will not be treated as a student, for example, if you have finished one course and are waiting to start another. At this point you will be liable for Council Tax.

The following people do not qualify for an exemption

Part time students, evening class students, ‘block release’ type arrangements in conjunction with employment and English Language Courses.

If you are on a low income you can apply for Council Tax Reduction