Claim Online

You can apply online with our electronic claim form

Do I qualify for Council Tax Support?

You may qualify if any of the following apply to you.

  • You're on a low income (employed or looking for work). 
  • You have dependent children.
  • You're ill or disabled.
  • You're caring for someone.
  • You're aged 60 or over.
  • You have been bereaved.
  • You're pregnant or have recently had a baby.
  • If you have less than £16,000 (if your savings are over £16,000, you will not be eligible to claim Housing Benefit or Local Council Tax Support, unless this money was from a compensation payment or a Prisoner of War payment). 

Make an application

Applied for or in receipt of Universal Credit ?

You can complete a shorter form to apply Council Tax Support

How much benefit am I entitled to?

You can use the online Benefit Calculator as a guide to your potential Housing Benefit / Local Council Tax Support entitlement. 

I need help with my rent.

To ensure that you apply for the correct support please refer to Housing Benefit/Universal Credit claim online.  

When should I claim?

You should claim straight away. Even if you don't have the right supporting evidence, as you may lose benefit you are entitled to.

You can ask for your claim to be backdated, but the maximum period for Housing Benefit is 1 month from when you make the request and 6 months for Council Tax Support if you are working age (or 1 month from 1st April 2017). You will need to explain why you did not claim earlier and provide evidence of your income for the period of backdating.

If you are of pensionable age then the maximum backdating period is 3 months for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support.

You do not need to explain why you did not claim earlier. You will need to provide evidence of your income during the backdating period. 

Report a change in circumstance

If you would like to report a change in your circumstances or you have changed address let us know as soon as possible. You can use our Contact Us form.

Direction of Chief Executive (Electronic Communications Order 2006)