Problems With Your Council Tax Support

If you’ve received a decision about your Council Tax Support but you think it’s wrong, we can look over it again

What to do if you think a decision about your Council Tax Support is wrong

We can reconsider the decision we’ve made regarding your Council Tax Support . If you think it’s wrong and you contact us within one month of the decision being issued, we can look over it again.

If you receive a decision in writing, it is usually because you:

  • Have applied for a Council Tax Support 
  • Have had a change of circumstances, which affects your support 

Do you want more information about the decision?

If you have received a Council Tax Support decision letter and you want more information about the decision, you can write to us within one month from the date of the decision letter, and ask for further explanation of the decision. This is known as a ‘written statement’.

We will send you an explanation, in the form of a ‘statement of reasons’ as soon as we can. 

Do you want us to look at the decision again?

You may want us to look over your decision again after getting an explanation from us. You can write to us or fill in the appeal form. You need to say the specific decision why you do not agree with the decision.

When we reconsider the decision, a different member of staff will check that the decision. Once we’ve looked over it, we’ll write to let you know if:

  • The decision has been changed, giving details of the new decision.
  • The decision has not been changed, giving reasons why this is.

If you still do not agree with the decision, or we do not respond to you within 2 months, you may be able to appeal to an independent tribunal. The letter telling you about the decision will tell you if you can appeal.