Housing for Under 18s

If you are under 18 and need to leave home, we can help you

If you have to leave home because your parents have asked you to, or you feel you are in danger, you can speak to Children’s Social Care.

Don't leave home because of an argument or because you want more independence. We won’t be able to help you if you make yourself homeless, unless you are in a dangerous situation. 

If you’ve had an argument with your parents, we can help you work things out together.

What help you can get

The help we can offer depends on your situation, but we will always give you advice and support. 

You may be able to get help if: 

  • You are being abused or are at risk
  • You are leaving care and have nowhere else to go
  • Your family has evicted you and you have nowhere else to go

You might not be able to get to help if: 

  • You have had an argument and left
  • You have been asked to leave because of your behaviour
  • You have lived in Bournemouth for less than six months

Facts about leaving home

You may have been told by your friends that you will get a council flat if you tell us your family has kicked you out, but you won’t.  Bournemouth has a social housing shortage and a long waiting list. You can apply to get on this list at 16 but you can’t get a tenancy until you’re 18.

Getting privately rented accommodation is also hard. All letting agents and landlords will ask you to pay a rent deposit, one month of rent in advance and to give details of a guarantor, which is an adult who pays your rent if you can’t or pays for any damage you cause.

Running your own place is expensive. You’ll need to pay for the following things each month:

  • Rent
  • Council tax
  • Water
  • Electricity and/or gas
  • Internet, phone and TV
  • TV licence
  • Food
  • Cleaning products

You’ll also have to pay for any medicine you need, dental appointments and eye exams, and you’ll need to buy your own clothes and do your own laundry.

Contacting us

If you’ve been forced to leave home suddenly and have nowhere to go, you should 

  • Contact Social Services on 01202 123334
  • Or come to the Customer Service Centre at the Town Hall straight away.  

If you need help when we're not open call 01202 392 322 or go to your local police station.