Responsibilities for Landlords

As a landlord, you must make sure your properties are safe and in good repair

Coronavirus (COVID-19): advice and guidance

Advice and guidance is available to help support landlords and agents with private rented properties during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

See further information about changes to services.

If you’re not sure about your responsibilities as a landlord, we can give you advice on working with your tenants and the law.

As a landlord, you must follow:

Working with your tenants

At the start of a tenancy, you should clearly explain what you and your tenants are responsible for.  

If your property needs major repairs, you will need to arrange this. You can’t expect your tenants to pay for these.

Your tenants will be responsible for small repairs such as:

  • Cosmetic decorating 
  • Gardening
  • Changing plugs and light bulbs
  • Unblocking sinks, toilets and drains

If your tenants aren’t confident with DIY, you could recommend or put them in touch with contractors.  


Our Private Sector Housing team uses the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) guidelines when inspecting properties. Your properties must meet the legal standards of this document.  

Rent deposit protection

If your tenant has paid a cash deposit for the property, you must make sure it is registered with a deposit protection scheme.

 Once the deposit is registered, you must give your tenants a copy of the deposit protection certificate. We recommend you give this to them in person and they sign a receipt to confirm they have it.

 A deposit does not have to be registered if you got  it as a bond guarantee certificate through our Rent Deposit Scheme

Gas and electricity installations

All gas installations and appliances must be checked annually by a Gas Safe registered installer. The installation must meet the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. 

All electrical installations should meet BS7671: 1992 (requirements for low voltage electrical appliances).  The work must be completed by an NICEIC-registered contractor (National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation Contracting) or another recognised organisation.

You must get an Energy Performance Certificate for your property before you advertise it. You will also need to give this to your tenants.

Do you have any paying guests?

Guidance for owners of bed and breakfasts, guest houses and self catering properties about making their premises safe from fire.