Houses in Multiple Occupation

If you own or manage a licensable House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) you need to tell us

Licensable Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) are buildings that have: 

  • Three or more storeys, and
  • Five or more people living there as two or more households, and
  • Shared facilities such as a bathroom, toilet or kitchen

Our  Public Register can now be viewed.

Tenants are only classed as a ‘household’ if they are:   

  • Co-habiting couples
  • Blood- related, or foster families
  • Carers and domestic staff

Student halls of residence managed by the university and buildings owned by public bodies are not classed as HMOs.   

If you own or manage HMOs in Bournemouth, you’ll need to submit a Property Information Form for each property.

Basic standards

Even if you don’t need a licence, your building must meet the following standards:

Cost of licence

The cost of a new licence is £670 for a property up to 10 units, with an additional charge of £15 per unit above 10.

If applications are returned incomplete or additional works are undertaken to investigate unlicensed Houses in Multiple Occupation, then additional charges will be charged at an hourly rate to recover all reasonable expenses incurred by the authority.

The renewal of an existing licence will be charged at the rate of £560, assuming there are no major changes to the property or its occupancy.  If a DBS check is requested, this will incur an additional fee of approximately £60.

However, the authority does not carry out this check for all applications so please do not add this cost to the renewal fee.  If we feel it appropriate to carry out a check we will inform you, in writing, with the application pack. The licence renewal will also be for a five-year term.

Contact Us


General Enquiries

01202 451083


Customer Services Centre

St Stephens Road


  • Name